I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Monday, July 27, 2009

Sexual Sausage AD Offends Parents

ITS A MAD AD WORLD


an old ad for Porsche

Reuters is reporting that a saucy radio advert for sausages which encouraged listeners to reveal "where you like to stick yours" was criticized by Britain's advertising watchdog on Wednesday.



The ads for Mattesons smoked sausages elicited complaints from listeners who said they were offensive because of the sexual innuendo and should not have been aired when children were likely to be listening.

The first ad promisingly begins with a male voice saying "Mmm, Mattesons smoked pork sausage..." and it continues "Think about all the things you can stick this tasty, extraordinarily large sausage in. Mmm. Pizza, pasta, stir fry. You have any ideas? Give me a call and tell me where you like to stick it. Ladies, I'm waiting for your call ... Mmm, Mattesons smoked pork sausage. You want it."

The three follow-up ads featured women who'd rung in (allegedly) to offer their suggestions as to where to stick the extraordinarily large sausage.

The same male voice continues in the follow-up ad: "'You've all been telling me where you like to stick it. This was one of my favourites'. A female voice then comes on saying: 'I'm renowned for my big sausage hot pot. People are always calling by for a bit and my husband Roger loves it.' The male voice then continues: 'Roger that Fiona. Ladies, keep telling me where you like to stick yours... Mmm, Mattesons smoked pork sausage. You want it.'"

Kerry Foods, which makes the sausages, said its adverts were intended to be tongue-in-cheek and were not designed to be offensive.

The Advertising Standards Authority did not uphold the complaints about the innuendo because it was not sexually explicit, but said the ads could "cause harm to children."

It ruled the ads should not be aired at times when they were likely to be heard by children
a stunningly effective ad for Language Courses

I don’t know about you but as far as I know, children now-a-days are far more mature and knowledgeable about the birds & bees to be ‘harmed’ by such ads.

The very young will not get it at all and frankly if your child is able to get the innuendo in “stick it in you” & "my big sausage hot pot" then this ad should be the least of your worries.

Education not Censorship is what’s required.

And really, can there ever be an ad for something like a sausage that is not innuendo laced? Without any phallic symbolism and jokes? Imagined or otherwise?

The newspapers meanwhile are having a field day though with headlines like "Watchdog Bites Sausage Ad" and "AD Authority Tells Mattesons Where To Stick It" and my personal favourite...
"UK AD Watchdog Puts A Boner In The Works"

Now should children be allowed to read such papers?

Your Thoughts???
Till Next Time
Luv

Vish

No comments:

Post a Comment