I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Eating Bambi

BAMBI JERKY


Recently my nephew brought back some delicacies from Sydney and one of them was the Kangaroo Jerky. I love my meat and even though the jerky can be a little bland and a tad too sweet for our asian tastes I don’t mind nibbling on it once in a while.

One afternoon as I sat before the TV, chewing on the jerky, I happened to look at the packaging and got a most enlightening update.

Maybe, even more than I’d have liked. Especially from my food.

There in bold lettering at the bottom was the sentence, and I quote here;

“The meat contained herein is for personal use only and not for sale. It is derived from animals that received post-mortem veterinary inspection and were found to be healthy in every way.”

Now first of all I don’t understand the ‘personal use and not for sale’ part but honestly I am more queasy about eating something that has had some kind of post-mortem performed on it.

I know it’s a perfectly scientific thing to do but I’ve always associated that word with death and murder. Of Humans I may add.

Like any other person, I like my food to be healthy but do I need the gory details?

IIIIIIII don’t think so.

As someone said, “If you ever see how a sausage gets made, you’ll probably never eat it.”

The packaging also has other info on it like the fact that the “Kangaroos were sourced from the Australian government’s overseas program” and that its scientific name is ‘Macropus Rufus’.

Overseas program? Where were the kangaroos sourced from? Some call centre in Bangalore?

And Rufus?

Do we really have to name our food?

It’s like eating Bambi.


No comments:

Post a Comment