I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Thursday, July 16, 2009


Dear All

We have a 3 day weekend here this time so while I frolic around in Dubai here’s something from the archives. This was posted back in 2007.

Hope you like it.

Luv

Vish


KHOYA FRICKIN CHAND

Hi. Me again.

I just remembered something and thought i'd share it with you.

As i mentioned earlier, the movies here in UAE are released with both Arabic and English sub-titles. (Some English movies even have French ones so you can imagine how much 'fun' it is to watch a movie with half the screen filled with scrawlings)

Anyway I went to watch Khoya Khoya Chand the other day with some friends. Initially we were distracted and that distraction quickly turned to surprise and shock as we began to read the sub-titles. From what I understand, the sub-titles should be explaining the scene while trying to remain as close to the spoken word as possible. In this case the person doing the sub-titles must have been very angry on the day he sat typing.

The characters would be saying dialogues like, "Batameez, tum apne aap ko kya samajte ho?" while the translation would read "Fucking Bastard, who the fuck do you think you are ?".

Even benign ones like "Naa, tum yeh film nahi kar payoge" became "No, you are not fucking fit to do this fucking film"

After a couple of the F words flashed across the screen, I thought i'd count how many and began but quickly gave up when i reached 18. And we were barely 30 min into the movie.

Granted that the movie is about loss, pain, despair etc but none of the characters seemed angry enough to warrant such liberal interpretations of their dialogues.

Does anyone check them before they are released? Just wondering....

And speaking of sub-titles, when they try to sub-title the songs, well sometimes it can be quite hilarious too...

I can't quite get it as yet.


In Jab We Met, a sad song is playing in the background as Kareena gets ditched by her boyfriend. They translate the full song hilariously and if that was not enough, at the end of the song there is a passage when the singer is singing the raagas. Pa Ni Sa Re Ga Ga Ma... Ni Ni Re Ga Pa and so on....

I looked down, and what do you know??? The english sub-title read Do Do Re Fa Fa Me... Re So So La La Ti

Unintentionally distracting and funny.

Now I can't read Arabic but I managed to see that it's version of the sub-title too was keeping up.

I wonder what is Do Re Me Fa in Arabic ?

1 comment: