I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Airplane Noise Of A Different Kind

THE MILE HIGH CHATTER CLUB
I was reading one of the many supplements that come with the newspapers etc here over the weekend and a small article caught my eye and made me wonder why no one has raised this topic before.

The incessant chatter in the airplanes.
And surprisingly enough, this time I’m not referring to the passengers.
I’m talking about the crew chatter.

With the new travel restrictions and having to arrive 3 hours before flights, its bad enough having to wait in the lounge listening to the departure schedule of almost 30-40 flights before yours gets announced.
However once I get to the plane I hope for some well deserved rest.
But now-a-days that’s difficult to find.

Now some things, I agree, are important, like the safety instructions, which themselves could be made a little LESS boring like with Air New Zealand (see previous post). But after that you only need to try and get some rest when almost every 15 minutes you are bombarded with useless info.

And even with head phones on, every announcement is broadcast live into your ear.
So you could be taking a nap with some instrumental music and you will suddenly have a chatty Captain in your ear, telling you to look out the right window to see Afganistan.

Now this uncalled for ‘travel advisory’ will not only disturb your nap but will also frustrate you coz you are in the middle of the middle row and there is no way you can possibly look out the right window and what’s more, now you can't go back to sleep either..
There should be a way of turning it optional.

“Ladies & Gentlemen, in a few moments we will begin serving dinner.”
Now when a couple of stewardesses arrive in front of you with a trolley between them and a food tray in their hands, you can pretty much guess its dinner without having it beamed into your ear some 30 minutes beforehand.

“Ladies & Gentlemen, the Captain has switched off the seat-belt sign.”
Now why would you need to be told that? Isn’t the bright blinking sign above your head and the loud ‘ting’ sound enough?

“Ladies & Gentlemen, We have just landed at London’s Heathrow Airport.”
'O My God! Somebody Turn This Thing Around. I Thought I Was Going To Manila not London'.
Does that happen? Do you NOT know where you are going?

With the new and huge airports everywhere (incl New Delhi’s IGI) it takes a minimum of 20-30 minutes more after you land to taxi to some area and disembark and when you are on a long flight that 30 minutes can be really restful.

“Ladies & Gentlemen, Thank you for flying with us and we look forward to having you on one of our flights again.”

I will. I will. I will.
Just promise to shut up.
Is that too much to ask?
Luv
Vish

No comments:

Post a Comment