I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Royal Facebook

LOOK WHO'S ON FACEBOOK

Technology can sometimes make the oddest bedfellows.

While Facebook is very popular with youngsters, a new and very surprising addition is Sheikh Mohammed the
Ruler of Dubai.

www.facebook.com/sheikhmohammed

screen-grab of Sheikh Mohammed's homepage


After dispelling the initial doubts about this being a bogus account (verified by the Gulf News in a headline grabbing report) I checked his profile and found to my surprise that he is a very down-to-earth person with simple values etc. Actually not very surprising because he has always been known for his hands-on approach to ruling Dubai.

And while I hate the blind sycophancy that sometimes surround absolute monarchies, His Highness is really a visionary ruler and Dubai today is what it is simply because of him.

The only time he is any different from you and me is when you check out his Position in his Profile (see below).

With his youngest daughter on his private plane


A lot of pictures are also attached in his photo gallery showing him, like any other father with his children.

With the new central minister in India, Shashi Tharoor being in the news today for collecting 10,000 followers on Twitter, it does beg the question;

Is this the new way forward for the politicians?

Check out his profile below. Especially interesting are his Religious Views and that Gandhi’s My Experiments With Truth is one of his favourite books.

Have a great day ahead

Ciao

Vish

With his sons Hamdan (the current Crown Prince) and Rashid taken many many years ago.

Basic Information

Gender: Male
Birthday: 15 July
Hometown: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Relationship Status: Married
Political Views: Contemporary challenges prompt us to think in innovative ways to achieve sustainable development
Religious Views: As a Muslim, I honor all religious traditions, and respect people regardless of their faith


Personal Information

Activities: I am passionate about sports, particularly endurance racing. I enjoy and love horse riding with my family members. I enjoy the outdoors, especially the Arabian desert experience. I relish visiting cultural institutions throughout the Emirates, the Middle East, and during my other international travels. I often go to cultural gatherings. Writing Nabati (traditional Arabic poetry) has been a life-long passion.

Favourite Books:"The Story of My Experiments With Truth, " by Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi; "The Prophet, " by Kahlil Gibran; "War and Peace, " by Leo Tolstoy

About me:
I was brought up in a family that believed in the importance of visionary public service and philanthropy and I have tried to live these values in my everyday life. I am proud of intiating Dubai Cares, Noor Dubai and the Mohammed bin Rashid Foundation. Their programs have helped transform the lives of millions of people, especially children, around the world. I also believe in the importance of encouraging young people to become leaders in their field: one reason why I created the Young Arab Leaders (YAL) program. One’s experiences and personal history shape who they are, and by sharing the lessons I have learned during my lifetime I hope I can continue to have a positive effect on others, especially young people.

Visiting a citizen in Dubai

Work

Position:Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates, Ruler of Dubai

Description:As Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates, I work with President His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan. I preside over Cabinet meetings. I am also Ruler of Dubai, and continue to promote our vision of sustainable economic development and the nation's well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment