I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

BORING DAYS AND THEN COMES BHAPPI DA

Ohhh what would we do if not for such characters like Bappi Lahiri.
I love this crazy, over the top man and my face involuntarily lights up whenever he comes jangling onto the screen.


Everyone knows about his predilection for anything gold but apart from that he is also so sure of himself he has lost all touch with reality.



I have attached the new 7-UP lemon ad with him which is just crazy funny. Watch him show (off) his gold biscuit, gold feesh, his mari-gold flower and his golden globe.

I cant figure out if he is in on the joke or just plain flattered.





While that video is loading you can read this article about him from PassionForCinema. It is as crazy as the man.

Enjoy

Love As Usual

Vish

From PassionForCinema


Bappi Lahiri, who has just released an album, thinks he is to music what Big B is to films, imagines young girls giving him the glad eye, and claims that the superhit Jai Ho is a reworking of his own 80s hit Ramba ho.

Like a true rock star, Bappida doesn't give a flying fig what people think of him. Right now, he is a busy man. His soft drink ad, which wittily plays upon his love of gold, is a big hit; he is on reality TV; composing music; and doing three films as an actor. "It's all public's love," he says. "In film industry, there is Amitabh Bachchan and in music industry, there is Bappida. But Amitabh Bachchan is 12 years older than me."

Though he has not won a Grammy yet, he is unfazed. "I have got hundreds of golden and platinum jubilee discs. But yes, I promise, in 2010, main definitely Grammy mein nomination kar raha hoon. Let's see if I get it or not. I have given 15 movies with blockbuster music? that's a bigger achievement than any Oscar."


That was a little dig at AR Rahman perhaps, but otherwise Bappida is the embodiment of good-natured ambition, still breaking new ground with his work, the latest being My Love, an R&B-heavy album featuring American hip-hop star Jiddah.


"It's playing on every channel today. I shot videos in two big towns, New York and Sydney, so Bappida stays among the younger generation, even though I'm already there," he says. Go figure.

But his most stupendous claim is this yorker: "My song, Ramba ho ho ho has now become Jai ho ho ho. Nothing is new for Bappi Lahiri. Whatever catchlines I had introduced 25 years ago, are coming back. And it's all because of janta-e-janardhan. I give my salaam to them." Signature style

The cult of Bappi Lahiri is based on his 'king of bling' look. "Dekhiye," he says, "if I don't wear gold chain, people say you are not Bappi Lahiri. When I wear it, they say, yes, now you are Bappida. Today, if someone wears gold chains, they say why are you copying Bappida. Only few people have such an image. Elvis Presley had a gold cross, Michael Jackson has sunglasses and Elton John has a hat. "I created the gold-man image of Bappida (shows his gold chains)? When I go to Hollywood with gold chains, everyone asks, 'Who is he?' I want to show everyone, dekho bhai dekho, Bappi Lahiri knows how to dress."

The tubby composer, married for 32 years, claims he was a wild one in his youth. "Bachpan mein ladki log ka bahut proposal aaya," he guffaws.

Even now, apparently, only his married status holds them back. "When girls come for autographs, unko dekhne se lagta hai, they are thinking if Bappida wasn't married, to main propose karta tha."

Beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment