I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Monday, January 28, 2008

HINDSIGHT THEY SAY IS 20/20.

They say hindsight is 20/20 and while that may be true it can also be very cruel to mediocrity.
My conclusion (like it is some profound theory) is that if your product is not very good then it will not last the test of time. It may work in the ‘now’ but once the euphoria dies down it can end up looking cheesy and dated.

The reason I am thinking all this is because yesterday evening while flicking through the TV channels I came across a re-run of Knight Rider. Having been quite a fan of the talking car K.I.T.T in my childhood I settled down hoping for a trip down nostalgia lane. However my excitement was short lived as the previously exciting series seemed to have become cheesy, overacted and like something out of a time warp. The futuristic talking car looked outdated & common, the attempt at humour was awful and David Hasselhoff’s acting was a pain to watch. Wait a minute. I can’t complain. David always was, and still is a pain to watch. So nothing’s changed there.


Anyway, you might argue and say that it is usually the case with old things but then again, I chanced upon an Enid Blyton book at a friends house which his son was reading and as I flipped through, it seemed to still have the magic that had me enchanted more than 2 decades ago.


If you’ve ever read the Magic Faraway Tree or imagined yourself in the tree house with the Secret Seven or Famous Five you will know what I mean. Infact any child’s formative years is incomplete if they cannot relish the pleasures of letting their imagination run wild with characters like Moonface, Silky, The Saucepan Man, Dame Washalot, Mr. Whatsisname and the Angry Pixie. Or imagining visiting the ‘lands’ that come to the top of the tree, sometimes extremely unpleasant (Land of Dame Slap) or sometimes fantastically enjoyable (Land of Birthdays, Land of Take-What-You-Want etc).



Infact Blyton’s books cater right from nursery (Noddy) through primary school (Faraway Tree) to mid school (Secret Seven, Famous Five) right up to pre-high school (
Malory Towers, St. Claire Series).

Anyway coming back to now, so do you think some of the modern ‘hits’ will survive the test of time?

Harry Potter? Certainly!
Rang De Basanti? Yeah!
Amitabh Bachchan’s Personal Legacy vis a vis Amar “P.I.M.P” Singh? Not so much.
Himesh the Crooner? IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Don’t think So.

But that’s just my thoughts. Musings you may call it.

Ciao

Vish

No comments:

Post a Comment