I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Sunday, January 13, 2008

New Mantra for 2008


A Paki-Punjabi colleague of mine often keeps me regaled with stories at work and in the process, ever so often, slips in a phrase or two of Punjabi.

Like sometimes when he does something just for the heck of it and I ask him why and he replies “Aae Wai” (pronounced with a nasal twang) which means “Just like that”.

However the one which he has been saying for the last few years but which only recently caught my fancy is the phrase “Tennu Ki Farak Penda Hai”

It translates as “How does it make a difference to you?” but the true meaning is in the saying. How you say it.

If you’ve noticed, I have not put any punctuation at the end of that phrase quite simply because the meaning of it changes along with the tone you say it in.

It could be a Question or a Statement or even just a throwaway line to end a discussion.

It also happens to be extremely catchy.

A friend of mine, Robin (no relation to Batman), has taken to it like a fish and does not miss any opportunity to use it and does it quite well too.

Last night when I called him on his mobile and asked where he was, he said he was in London.

Knowing the exorbitant rates that the local telecom operator charges for international roaming, I quickly apologized and tried to hang up, but guess what he said to me?

Yes…

“Tennu Ki Farak Penda Hai” he said.

Quite rightly too. His phone, his charge and he is willing to chat so... "Mennu Ki Farak Penda Hai?"

Now apart from the catchy note it is also a mantra of the year for me becoz of what it can represent.

Many times we are often caught in the bubble of our own self importance that we end up taking ourselves a tad too seriously.

WE think the world will come to a standstill without us. The work will stop without us.

Us, us us…… It’s all about me, me, me.

In the process we end up sad, tired and with unnecessary headaches & problems.


In those times, the phrase reminds us, ever so gently and wittily, to just ride with the flow…... you know, to just Chill.

And boy don’t we need to do that sometimes!

So this 2008 don’t take yourself sooooo seriously.

Life is short, Make New Friends Have some fun, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

After all “Tennu Ki Farak Penda Hai”


Belated maybe, but Happy New Year 2008 and Have A Great Year Ahead.

Anyway Aae Wai... Love..

- Vish

No comments:

Post a Comment