I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Thursday, July 17, 2008


OF RANDOM THINGS....But then whats new??


Hi,


Weekend’s here and have been a little busy lately and hence haven’t had time to blog.


A few things to recommend and warn you against.



MOVIES :-


Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na: I am sure most of you have watched it already and loved it too as did I. And I am not simply biased coz Imran looks like my cousin Sid. My friends already refer to Sid as Rats and for more proof you can check the collage below. However the best performance (among a host of great ones ) was by Prateik Babbar.


If you remember, he is the son of Smita Patil & Raj Babbar and considering that he does not ham his way through the movie it is quite clear his acting genes are more maternal than paternal. He is not only a splitting image of his mom he acts pretty well too. (Now imagine if he looked like his dad and worse acted him him). He gets 3 of the best written scenes in the movie and he passes with flying colours in each of them.
Whether it’s his introduction where he mocks the ‘hero’ for a) not looking good, b) being gareeb and c) singing so badly
or the sensitive scene with his screen sister where he reminds her how she’s moved on with her friends leaving him behind. He is superb in all of them.
Jaane Tu... also shows that Hindi movies are finally getting the hang of ensemble casts where the ‘hero’ does not have to dominate every scene in the movie (think Sunny Deol, think the screaming, think the dancing.... phew... stop thinking!)


Imran - Sid - Jai- Rats? Who is Who?



Thoda Pyaar Thoda Magic: Why am I a sucker for punishment? Why do I go for Kunal Kholi movies? Fanaa was a bad movie redeemed only by its top notch cast (honestly with Aamir & Kajol, even a reading of the phone book will be interesting) but as Sanjay Leela Bhansali, when asked to name some of the most overrrated directors in Bollywood replied “Kunal Kohli. Kunal Kohli. Kunal Kohli.”
Yet there I was in the theatre with my popcorn, trying to stay awake during this excuse for a movie. Before the release he went on record saying it is not a remake of Mary Poppins or Sound of Music..
He was correct.
It Isn’t.
But If Only…..


BOOKS:


Jeffrey Archer – Prisoner Of Birth: Inspired by and along the same lines of Alexander Dumas’ The Count Of Monte Cristo, this book is not only a racy (though predictable) read but very fun and light entertainment when you are not in the mood for heavy stuff.
Speaking of heavy, along with a magazine recently I got a small promotional booklet with excerpts of Amitav Ghosh’s new book “Sea of Poppies” and am I hooked? Looking forward to it.

You must have also heard that Salman-Don’t-Kill-Me-Rushdie’s Midnight’s Children won the 40th Anniversary Best Of Booker award. I cant comment coz I havent read it yet. I don’t know why but was never interested in reading it. Still not. Maybe Later. If any of you have read it then do feel free to write in about it.

MUSIC:

Rock On: Farhan Akhtar on the vocals is not something you expect to work but in a funny way it does.
Lyrics by papa Javed however are pretty maudlin.
Quite an enjoyable album though. Completely removed from the staple Bollywood bhangra-dholak songs.
Bollywood is indeed changing. Good for us.
Was also surfing though some other regional blogs and saw one about some expat’s visit to Saudi.
An excerpt from that for your reading pleasure is attached below….
Ciao & have a Great Day and Weekend
V

Riyadh - unforgettable moments

I flew in from Saudi this morning ...But that was the boring part..Last night, a friend picked me up to go have dinner. On the way and at one of the red lights, I saw a women sitting next to her husband in the car next to our’s. I noticed that she wasn’t wearing a seat belt but her husband did.
Me: umm.. isn't it mandatory for people to wear seatbelts here?
Friend: Yes…
Me (in a disinterested tone): this women isn't wearing hers .. her hubby will get a ticket.
Friend: naaah... he won't
Me (ok, now I am interested): Why not?
Friend: Here, if a woman is sitting in the front seat, she should not wear the seat belt.
Me: And why not?
Friend: Because if she does, the seat belt coming across her torso, will outline her boobs and the religious police might arrest both of them..
Me: (silence)



4 comments:

  1. Jaane Tu was certainly an experience for me - with friends on one side, a sweating man with an overdose of a cheap perfume on the other, looking up at the screen from the third row like pigs watching the moon and not being allowed to make comments either...

    BTW why this obsession with Sid's resemblance with Imran Khan? Let him be as he is. Dont want Sid to think he is someone else. He's such a wonderful kid, let him be who he is...please

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey if that is siddarth with his shirt off... he needs to work out and get a six pack. lots of love to all of u, my family..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Namu,

    I heard you have a blog of your own.. whats the address?? wanna catch pics of jared..

    Vish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaane Tu - Nice movie - rarely watch Hindi movies. But interesting to see how different people percieve the same movie; they enjoy it for all different reasons. Check my review on my blog - a slightly different take. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete