I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Thursday, August 23, 2007

ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE.....
Dear Readers,

Hi Again.
First of all i have to print a correction. The Bong poem in the previous post was actually submitted by Mr. Siddartha from Sikkim. Jashoda only forwarded it. I guess its very important to give credit where credit is due so once again;
"Thank You Sid" (I don't even know him so I am wondering why i am abbreviating his name... phew...)

Anyway moving on...

This following true story truly belongs in Ripley's "Believe it or not."

It happened to Mr. Chuck Wong who is a fellow alumni of my alma mater St. Joseph’s School “North Point” Darjeeling.


North Point : The Fountainhead


I wanted to share this with all of you and Mr. Chuck Wong has kindly given his permission to reprint this in my blog.


So here it is in Mr. Chuck Wong’s own words:

"My friend, Roman Mukherjee, and his wife Cindy Bailey, went to visit LA.

Roman is my friend from school in Darjeeling and currently lives in Ottawa.


They land in LAX and they get lost in the multiple-maze of gates but are finally taken to the rental car complex. There are seven counters and they go to one of them. A lady asks for their ID and he gives his credit card.

"Mukherjee?" she exclaims, "You don't look like a Bengali."

He explains that his mother is Czech.

"You know I used to live in Calcutta and go to school in Loreto in Middleton Row," she says.

"Well, I used to live in Middleton Row," he replies.

"I know a Dilip Chatterjee that lived in the area," she blurted.

"Yes, yes!" he says, "I know Dilip."

"I used to live in Stephen Court and the Bata people, the Plescheks, were our neighbors," she continues.

"Oh, my father used to work for Bata, and I went to school with the Plescheks," he responds.

"My brothers used to go to school in Darjeeling," she casually remarked.

"Well, I studied in Darjeeling too. I am a North Pointer. In fact, I'm going to stay with one of them right now." he says.

By this time, she is getting suspicious that he's just jesting and making a mockery of her. "Okay, then give me his name and address" she says.

Roman pulls out a slip of paper that reads,

"Chuck Wong. Onyx Drive, Walnut. L.A"

She almost faints.

She is my sister, Haiwan.

In Los Angeles, one of the biggest cities where millions reside, amongst the dozens of car rental agencies with the tens of thousands of employees, a Chinese face with no initial hint of Indian, a Bengali who looks like a Czech.... talk about finding a needle in a haystack. Incredible!!!

"Tell my brother I have Tuesday off and he has to buy dinner" she added with a smile.

Now that part of the story I believe.

Chuck Wong"

No comments:

Post a Comment