I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Hiya,

All of you, Nepali or otherwise, must be aware of all the ‘changes’ happening in Nepal.

One of the saddest ones was turning Nepal into a Secular country.
It was after all the only Hindu kingdom in the world.
And then there was none….

I am not a religious fanatic like Narendra Modi or even a fanatic in a liberal garb like L K Advani but I am just feel that this was not necessary.
Who were we trying to appease? The 1.2 % Muslims in Nepal? They were not even asking for it and neither were they being discriminated against. Now after this, communal lines have begun to appear in the society and the country is getting divided along those very lines.

As some wise ass said If it Aint Broke Why Fix It?

Anyway even if we get over that, the other thing that needles me is that the King & Queen have been removed as Head & Patron of the Pashupati Temple Trust. This is now under the stewardship of the Prime Minister’s office.

I am not a fan of HM Gyanendra and am not defending him either so all you Maoist sympathizers, please, get off your pseudo moral high horses now.
By the way I wonder if the ‘supporters’ of the Maoists actually understand the teachings and doctrines of Mao or are they just mice being led along to a precipice by Pied Piper Prachanda?
Someone please tell them that when the Maoists come to power, land and houses in Nepal will not be ‘distributed’ to them free of cost. The rich will remain rich, the ones willing and able to work will go abroad and the poor & stupid will remain just that. Poor & Stupid. The land of Mao itself is turning capitalist and the fools here dream on.

My arguments are for another reason altogether. Its religious not political!

Whenever you read of Saudi King Abdullah in any Newspaper printed or published out of a Muslim country he is referred to as King of Saudi Arabia and Custodian of the Two Holy Sites. It is an official title and the Muslims are very particular and proud of the fact. Apart from all the oil money, a lot of his influence in the Arab /Muslim world comes from that. It is a deeply religious thing for them.

Nepal’s kings and their heirs (whether deposed no not) will all be Hindu’s.

In secular Nepal, however, you cannot stop a non-Hindu or even an atheist (as all Maoists should be) from becoming Prime Minister.
And before any of you claim otherwise, let me clarify that I have no objections to a non Hindu becoming PM.
Its just that I don’t relish the thought of a non-Hindu being the Patron of one of the holiest sites in Hinduism.

I am not a religious extremist because that would mean being intolerant of the others. I am not.
However I am proud of being a Hindu. That’s not fanatic is it?

Give it some thought.



I do benefits for all religions.
I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality.
- Bob Hope

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:30 pm

    Shyam says...
    in my book secularism is a bad word- and i am not a religious zealot. I think Nepal has far bigger and deeper issues than to make such stupid policy/direction decisions. India is secular- but i have not come across anyone who has told me that being secular has been to his/her advantage socially or financially. In fact it does not take long for our polity to hide behind secularism and tie down the country with reservations, riots and what have you. Nepal has maybe a single digit non-Hindu population; how much is their life going to change if the country becomes secular? so what appeasment are we talking about...Its time for politicans in our part of the world to stop making statements of intent and get down to resolving real issues. There is no fixed formula to be a successful nation state. China can thrive in communism and the US can rejoice in democracy. Its not the type of system that determines success- it is what we make of it. I dont see how being secular makes Nepal any better; than being a Hindu state. Who knows- this change maybe for the worse...and if India is any example of being secular- then maybe a babri masjid, gujarat or the bombay bomb blasts are waiting to happen in Nepal. They are secular now after all!!

    ReplyDelete