I, Me & Myself

My photo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
If you know me, you know about me and if you don't... well then read my blogs and you will find out

Wednesday, February 28, 2007


Dear Folks,

I am back after a long absence and for those of you who are accustomed to reading my blogs I am truly sorry. Work pressures you see.

Any way two of my close friends celebrated their birthdays in the last week or two. Both of them are wives of two brothers who have been friends of mine for almost 2 ½ decades. Shraddha whose spouse is Prabir Shumshere Blah Blah Blah (the elder bro) was unusually perky and fresh when I called at 12:20 am on a cold and wet Kathmandu evening. More surprises lay in store as Prabir too sounded ‘awake’ for once. After chatting with them for a couple of minutes and having learnt that there had been no birthday celebration due to the advanced stage of pregnancy I helpfully suggested that since it was 20 odd minutes into her birthday and since they were awake they might as well,… you know, have a go at it.
And it was almost halfway into their sniggering that I understood that that was exactly what they had been doing when I had called.
So I think I can be excused and forgiven for saying:
Hope you had a Fucking Great Birthday.

Sanjok was the other one to celebrate her birthday. Her spouse is Pragengra Shumshere bhal bhal bhah or better known as Peggy (the younger bro) who is the Founder President of “The Art Shop” Gallery & Artist Extraordinaire but more on that later.

I have known Sanjok for almost 8 years now and she is a very humble, sweet and incredible naïve girl. Quick to react and equally quick to tears too. Doesn’t harbour any grudges and will say what’s on her mind. She was, before her marriage, a Shah and a member of the erstwhile Royal family of Syanjha (a province in Nepal) herself but never had the ego of Royalty. She is, as Tony Blair would but it, a People’s Princess. (I can imagine her beaming like a Cheshire cat now while reading this now.)
And for those of you who are interested in the details of others, let me clarify that Sanjok, unlike the others mentioned above, wasn’t having sex when I called to wish her. Well it was the middle of the day so….

About “The Art Shop” Gallery. Well. For those of you already in Kathmandu and for those of you who may visit Kathmandu in the future this should be a valuable piece of information. GO VISIT IT.

It is located bang in the middle of Durbar Marg (not sure how long that name is going to remain in Republican Nepal) and right above Benetton. It is a small, cozy and very well designed Gallery which displays and exhibits art work of most major Nepali artists as well as international ones. I forget his name now but there is a particular Texan (not related to Bush) who exhibits there quite frequently.
It is also a favourite haunt of many diplomats and Sanjok in her capacity as a Cultural Director and Curator of the gallery not only organizes those exhibitions but also manages to spice up the inaugurations with a speech or two.
That is saying a lot for a simple girl, albeit of royal blood, from rural Nepal. Now you must be wondering how I know this from all the way here in Abu Dhabi.
Well, I believe a number of Ambassadors and Charge d’affairs have been saying that she is not only eloquent but witty and sparkling. Their Excellencies seem to be quite enamoured with her and if we are not careful we might see a repeat of the Manisha Koirala-Crispin Conroy (ex Australian Ambassador) love story. Peggy, food for thought huh???

I am partial to the gallery not only because Peggy and Sanjok are dear friends of mine but also because, ahem ahem, I am the visualizer and designer of the whole place. Everything from the size and colour of the tiles to the spot-light fittings to the colour of the walls were decided by Peggy and myself with increasingly panicked but futile inputs from Sanjok.
And, I also happen to be the Chairman Emeritus of the Gallery. Ahem Ahem.

Hope they both had a Happy Birthday and a Great Year Ahead.


Till next time

Ciao 4rm Me

No comments:

Post a Comment